Saturday 17 July 2010

The Elevator Pitch and Networking events

I spent last evening at a networking event where 50 business owners had 60 seconds to introduce themselves and their business.

Like speed networking and many expensive networking organisations it followed the same format.

Each person in turn stood up and said "I am John and I own a xxxx company called ABC. We build websites that help you get more customers etc etc etc... and we do internet marketing etc etc etc..."

There were 6 web designers in the room all offering the same service and all proclaiming to be the best at what they do.

I had arranged to be the last to speak because I knew I would be longer than the allotted 60 seconds. (90 seconds in total)

When it was my turn I stood up and immediately asked a question - context setting - How much money was spent online in the UK last week? I had a few responses - all too low.

I then gave the answer and the audience had forgotten the rest of the people who had spoken. How much are you getting of that? - The thought provoker and hook.

"You all have websites! But do you know if they are helping your customers or driving them away?"

I then went on to tell the audience about our special offer of an independent website user experience review for £250 plus VAT. I also added the five most important reasons for carrying out the review - the pitch.

I then showed them my book Internet marketing How to get a website that works for your business and said they can buy it from Amazon. -Credibility

I gave my name and business name invited them to meet with me at the end of proceeding to book an appointment for a review. - Action point.

At the end I got 2 bookings and fifteen business cards with follow up calls to make.

Everyone who I spoke to said they enjoyed my presentation and it was the best of the evening. They felt I had informed them and it was memorable.

I will be going to the same event again in September and It will be interesting to see if any of the presentations will have changed.

I see, at many events of this type, the paper with written scripts come out, the nervous monologues and the uncertain hesitation from the various business owners.

If you are not passionate and engaging about your business how do they expect the audience to engage? How do you expect the audience to believe that you will look after their business if you are hesitant about what you can do or what you do or have to write it down to tell someone?

At these types of events everyone is selling and no one is looking at starting and building a business relationship.

I hope my little dialogue is of interest and helps you to consider the options that are available. How you engage your audience influences the way they will react to you and your business. It is the same online except you do not get any feedback as you cannot see your audience. This is why we run the website user experience review clinics.

If you would like to find out more about the user experience on your website contact me to book a review. on 08450 550 510

No comments:

Post a Comment